The editorial board at Our Sunday Visitor had a ‘moment‘ous opportunity to contribute to the well-being of our nation and our Church but… however, they chose the ‘but/however’ route, contributing only to the divisiveness of partisan politics, destroying any good that might have come from what could have been; ought to have been, an excellent editorial opinion.
Right out of the gate, OSV’s headline, “President Trump’s pro-life moment“, set off the ‘neverTrumper’ alarm in every Catholic patriot’s brain.
‘Moment’? Really? As if it was; and forever would be, President Trump’s ONLY pro-life ‘moment’? And ONLY because it was politically advantageous for him to grab the ‘moment‘?
Did anyone on OSV’s editorial staff think to ask the others, “When has publicly declaring a commitment to the Sanctity of Life EVER been advantageous to anyone running for public office”?
It is true that the Life issues tide is turning in this country and more public servants are courageously declaring a pro-life position, ‘but…however’, the tide began to turn with, then presidential candidate, Donald Trump’s including it in his 2016 presidential race campaign promises when he boldly proclaimed,
“I am pro-life, and I will be appointing pro-life judges.”
But it isn’t the ONLY pro-life campaign promise our President has conscientiously and vigorously kept.
Besides keeping his promise to appoint pro-life judges, President Trump has also ‘grabbed‘ these pro-life ‘moments’:
- Permitted States to Defund Planned Parenthood of Title X Funds
- Stopped Tax Dollars Funding Abortion Overseas
- Defunded the Pro-Abortion UNFPA
- Required Health Insurance Companies to Disclose if Plans Cover Abortion
- Settlements & New Rule Regarding HHS Mandate
- New Office for Conscience Protection at HHS
- Allowed States to Defund Planned Parenthood of Medicaid Funds
- Cut Planned Parenthood’s Tax Funding by up to $60 Million
- Canceled Huge Contract for Taxpayer-Funded Experimentation with Body Parts of Aborted Babies
(Updates available at the Susan B. Anthony website, http://www.sba-list.org)
Of course, the Catholic neverTrumpers have willingly bought into the new, radical leftwing label, ‘pro-birth‘, attempting to taint all Pro-Lifers, including President Trump, with ingenuousness in ignoring other Life issues and accusing them of disregarding the poor and marginalized.
Yet no other President has ever provided more to eliminate poverty than has President Trump and that may be the difficulty neverTrumpers are really having with him. Rather than merely providing hand-outs to the poor, President Trump is actually eliminating poverty by providing the opportunities and means for the poor and marginalized to lift themselves out of their depressed life conditions, thus restoring the dignity of their lives, by:
- creating jobs
- reducing taxes
- drastically reducing unemployment, especially among Blacks, Asians, Latinos, veterans, women, and youth
- increasing household incomes
- Securing $6 billion to fight the opioid epidemic, which is a cause of much of the homelessness our nation is experiencing.
- Improving and expanding VA services with walk-in-clinics, and same-day urgent primary and mental health care.
- Confirming two pro-Constitution justices to the Supreme Court with the possiblity of more in his second term.
- Fighting for the Religious Liberty of all by issuing an Executive Order exempting the Little Sisters of the Poor from paying for contraceptives as ruled by Obama’s HHS Mandate. Sadly, it was overturned by the infamous 9th Circuit Court of Appeals and will now be decided by the Supreme Court who agreed to decide the case. All of this emphasizes the importance of Present Trump’s appointments and confirmation of Constitutional justices and judges.
Do not all of these qualify as contributing to the sanctity, dignity, and well-being of all human lives?
The OSV opinion, after quoting extensively from President Trump’s speech at the March for Life in the first eight paragraphs, ought to have ended with their ninth paragraph:
“These are stirring words, indeed — striking in their complete and utter truth, and in the simple fact they were spoken by an American president.”
Instead, they went on to negate it, and all the paragraphs preceding it, by offering just another agenda driven opinion based on the ‘Trump is not fit to be president‘ narrative having no basis in fact or reality.
How refreshing it is to read articles and opinions of patriotic Catholics who are able to set aside their partisan prejudices and biases and report honestly and factually on our President who continues to do more for the Church in America than any previous president in our history.
Pope Francis has recently, once again, confirmed, through our own US Bishops at their January 2020 ad limina visit, that Abortion is the preeminent social justice issue facing not only the Church but the entire world and even more recently, through the papal visit of our Vice President, Mike Pence, which providentially coincided with the March for Life in Washington DC where President Trump grabbed his ‘pro-life moment’ of which the OSV editors chose to praise(?) in a brutal and unjust criticizing opinion. Our Pope and President have more in common than ‘neverTrumpers’ are willing to admit for it would force discernment of past, perhaps unknowing/unwitting, unjust criticisms heaped upon our President who has only the common good of all Americans in his mind and heart. That is his job. And he is doing it well.
May God continue to bless our nation through our ProLife President, Donald Trump.
You can read the Our Sunday Visitor Editorial Opinion here: https://www.osvnews.com/2020/01/25/editorial-president-trumps-pro-life-moment/